The Vaalbos National Park is an extraordinary area along the Vaal River where wildlife such as roan antelope, black rhino, white rhino, buffalo, eland, red hartebeest and tsessebe are to be seen in the former heart of the alluvial diamond diggings near Kimberly. The name Vaalbos originates from the Vaalbos (camphor bush), a prominent plant species in the park.
Vaalbos hosts most of the antelope species and has been put aside with the emphasis on breeding rare and valuable species. The Park has the largest population of roan antelope in South Africa.
How to get there
Air: Closest airport is Kimberly International. Car rental services at airport.
By car: The Park is 20 km west of Barkly West and 52 km from Kimberly. Tourist routes are gravelled.
Sydney-on-Vaal, the historic mining village with its many original Victorian buildings, is adjacent to the park.
Sunrise to sunset.
Late entry: Need to inform office +27 (0)53 561 0088 during office hours (07:30 - 16:00). Nobody to leave and return to park late at night.
- Six-bed cottages, one bedroom (with two beds), lounge (with two couches) and a loft with two mattresses. Bathroom (shower) and kitchen with basic equipment. Loft with two mattresses is not suitable for the elderly or small children.
- Solar panels provide power for lights and fans only - no electric plugs available.
Please note that campers must provide their own drinking water, as the water supplied to the ablution facilities is not ideal for drinking.
- This site is situated about 17 km's from the entrance gate.
- This is a very rustic camping site where you can experience the feeling of remoteness.
- There is no electricity but there are 12 Volt lights in the ablution facility.
- Gas geysers provide hot water for the showers. The showers are situated outside the ablution facility and under the stars.
- The Camp has 11 sites enclosed by two strands of electric wire to keep big herbivores out.
- River picnic site on the banks of the Vaal River, 2 km from the gate: 20 Barbecue / Picnic sites, ablution facilities and spacious lawns.
- No shop or restaurant in the park. Closest shops are at Longlands (5 km), Delportshoop (20 km), Barkly West (20 km) or Kimberly (61 km via Barkly West).
- Doctor at Delportshoop or Barkly West.
Rainfall mainly during summer can vary between 300 mm and 700 mm per annum. Winters are cold with temperatures as low as -4°C. Summer temperatures may be as high as 40°C.